Bio Spot Reviews
BIO SPOT REVIEWS
BIO SPOT HISTORY
Bio Spot is a flea and tick control product manufactured by Farnam Companies, Inc. Farnam Companies was first founded in 1946, and is primarily known for providing products to assist in the care and overall health of livestock. Farnam Companies is currently headquartered in Phoenix, AZ. In addition to producing Bio Spot, Farnam Companies is also responsible for producing products for fly control, general parasite control, feed supplements, grooming products for horses, identification tags for livestock, and water bottles for small domesticated animals. As of right now, Farnam Companies is one of the top 15 privately owned companies in Arizona, and currently has over 4,000 products in their manufacturing line.
BIO SPOT ACTIVE INGREDIENTS
Because cats have sensitivity to certain insecticides, the active ingredients in each of the Bio Spot flea control formulas are slightly different. However, there are several different active ingredients that are included in all of Bio Spot’s flea control formulas.
- BIO SPOT FIPRONIL -Fipronil is an insecticide that causes disruption of an insect’s nerves and muscles. This is because Fipronil works by blocking off chloride ions from passing through the GABA receptor and glutamate-gated chloride channels. The reason why most insects are affected by Fipronil is because glutamate-gated chloride channels do not exist in mammals. In addition to this, Fipronil does not affect the GABA receptor in mammals. Fipronil does not dissolve in water, and is easily absorbed when applied to an animal’s skin.
- BIO SPOT (S) METHOPRENE - Methoprene is classified as a juvenile hormone analog, which works to regulate the growth of certain insects. This effect is the main reason why Bio Spot formulas use Methoprene in their products. Insect larvae will be unable to change into an adult insect, because Methoprene acts to mimic the natural juvenile hormonal response of insects. Because of this, Methoprene is considered to be a “biochemical pesticide” since it does not directly affect insects with a toxic response.
- BIO SPOT IMIDACLOPRID - Imidacloprid is one of the most widely-used insecticides. It causes paralysis and death to fleas by affecting the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor. Because imidacloprid is not toxic to mammals in low doses, it is able to be included in the Bio Spot anti-flea formula without high risk to an animal’s health. Though imidacloprid is widely used as an insecticidal ingredient in flea formulas, it is extremely toxic to honeybees when applied as an airborne insecticide.
BIO SPOT CUSTOMER REVIEWS AND RATINGS
Consumer reviews about Bio Spot flea control formula are relatively mixed. While many pet owners report using the Bio Spot formula without any problems, there have been some complaint of the formula causing irritation, allergic reactions or skin rashes on certain animals. In addition to this, some people reported it being ineffective at controlling fleas, though this could also be due to improper application of the product. Most consumers consider the fact that Bio Spot is less expensive than some other flea treatment medications a positive selling point. A unique factor that many pet owners commented on was the smell of the product during application, most commonly being compared to the smell of lemon and cedar.
- Bio Spot Flea and Tick Collar for Cats Reviews
- Bio Spot for Cats Reviews
- Bio Spot Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
- Bio Spot for Dogs Reviews
- Frontline PLUS Reviews
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!